Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Went to Le Puy again today. Only this time I went with Bob. Bob is the English assistant who works in the primary schools in Brioude. I'm always really jealous of him because he's the town celebrity (even though I like to think that I am...haha). Seriously though, all the little kids come running up to him in the street wanting to say hi, etc....it's like he's the new Jesus or something. Anyway we're becoming good friends, Bob and I. It is good to have someone around who is going through the same things I am, and who actually wants to talk to me and go places with me. Well, someone apart from Christine because I can't be bothering her constantly...just almost constantly...haha.

Well Le Puy was really nice despite the rain, the cold, and the way I was wearing the wrong shoes (I always do that....dammit). I don't think we were sure exactly of what we were going to do when we got to Le Puy today...we just knew we wanted to get out of town for the day. We ended up having breakfast at a crepe shop because we left so early in the morning that it wasn't breakfast time until we got there. Crepe was good...yum as usual, and we got some good medicine from a pharmacy in Le Puy thanks to the nice lady pharmacist there. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Bob and I both have nasty colds...mine's mostly a cough which sucks...I sound like I'm dying all the time...but I'll probably make it. After breakfast/taking our meds, we didn't really know where we were going so we just ended up wandering around...which is my favorite because you end up surprising yourself. Which is exactly what happened.

Le Puy en Velay is a really cool town. It's not too big yet much bigger than Brioude at the same time. The town features a couple of very high peaks amongst the shops and residences. They almost look like they don't belong there, but they're very cool...like I said before. Anyway one peak has a church on top and the other....a virgin. Today we climbed the peak to the virgin....well, it was more like we wandered up to the virgin. Anyway, it was the best day of wandering and sight-seeing I've experienced in a long while. The view from where the virgin stands is outstanding and you can actually climb up inside of her...yes I just said that. That part was fun/creepy...it was rainy and dark and creepy and creeky inside the virgin....not very virgin-like at all, but a good experience all the same :)

After this, we met up with some of the other assistants who live in Le Puy and had...you guessed it...more crepes...haha. It was delicious as usual and I was very hungry after our excursion to the virgin...hehe. It's nice to talk to some of the other assistants...I love Brioude, but sometimes I feel like I live on an island away from everything...that's a good feeling sometimes, but other times you have to venture onto the mainland so to speak....

Was happy to make it back home today as usual....kind of cold outside...don't want to go to school tomorrow...because I'm lazy, but the day will end well at least...Christine and I are having girl's night!!!! Woop Woop! I need a girl's night since I haven't had one...oh I dunno since I lived at Pointe West....depressing thought. No matter....tomorrow will be a fabulous girl's night...we're having pizza and watching Brides Maids....cannot wait!

I think I'll leave you with a picture of the virgin...
 close-up of the virgin...
 and me inside the virgin...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,

    I was listening to Little Dragon today, thinking of music and thinking of you.

    Good to see you are happy and doing well.

    PS: Bridesmaids is awesome!
    take care,

    Apoorva

    ReplyDelete